Thursday, November 18, 2010

Week 5 (music success in 9 weeks)

Blogging

A bit of everything

When I started Music success in 9 weeks, I was going through a quiet spell. My new album was completed, I didn’t have too many gigs and other than a few small studio projects, I figured it was the perfect time to tackle this blog challenge. Then things went crazy. The last two weeks brought on a whirlwind of rehearsals, gigs, sessions and an educational project for a school in Soweto. Which brings me to a point highlighted in a blog by a fellow challenger Meghan Morrison: I’m currently marketing “African Numbers”, an African-style, “world music” CD for kids. But that’s not all I do. I’m a freelance guitarist, a composer, jingle writer, music teacher, studio owner/engineer.

In her book “Music success in 9 weeks” Ariel Hyatt highlights the importance of having a consistent look and message across all platforms. I’m finding this rather difficult to do. The only consistent thing about my career is the fact that every aspect of it revolves around music.

Onto this week’s chapter….

A few of things in the book regarding blogging aren’t new to me as I’ve been blogging for a couple of years now. But something that stood out for me was the instruction to “Identify 50 blogs where you want to be reviewed.” I have had a few reviews on blogs (mainly through my connection with the bloggers via Twitter). BUT FIFTY!? That is a challenge. And I’m always up for a challenge. So I am going to start working towards this goal.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Graeme,

    It relieves me to hear other peoples' accounts of 'hat' struggles. Most of the musicians I know are purely musicians (they play music and don't want anything to do with business) or hobby musicians.

    I'm too impatient to wait for someone to come along and take the reigns for me and waaay too driven to let someone take the reigns anyway. I want to decide where this horse is going!

    I get the impression that you are the same way.

    The music success in nine weeks blog challenge has been a good set of spurs, but ultimately we have to make the effot to put our feet in the boots, right? Just need to find the size that fits.

    Let me know if you're ever in Toronto, I'd love to have you on the webcast

    ... and thanks for the mention!

    Meghan Morrison
    www.meghanmorrison.com
    twitter.com/megsmorrison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me in the "50 is an overwhelming number" crowd. I think the important thing is that we step out of our comfort zones and start doing something that we weren't previously doing. I'm shooting for 10 blogs to start, because I was shooting for ZERO before I started the challenge!

    Ethan Waldman
    http://ethanwaldman.com

    ReplyDelete